The Forum has a vision of a world of equal opportunities where justice, human rights, and fundamental freedoms are respected and guaranteed; where media are free and playing their part in the democratisation processes; where people are empowered and have access to knowledge and can utilize it to alleviate suffering and preserve what is unique to improve their quality of life; a world of peace rejecting violence in all its forms.
The Forum acts as a contributor to change, a vehicle for policy-makers, practitioners and scholars, and an instrument for the revival of the almost extinct cultural goods of particular indigenous groups. It also serves as a platform for discussing media and development issues, and as a network with similar organisations and networks.
- Participation in the Forum’s activities is open to all individuals and organizations whose objectives and activities conform to the Vision and Mission Statement of the Forum.
- The Forum believes in valued relations in change through services and subscribes to good governance and democratic means of advocacy. By good governance is meant responsibility, transparency, accountability. Democratic means of advocacy are related in the context of the Forum to cultural heritage, consent, and participatory processes. By valued relations is meant dignity, integrity, and mutual respect.
- Any organization seeking partnership with the Forum needs to be committed to sharing its knowledge, and experiences; and be prepared to fulfill its responsibilities in coordination and cooperation.
- Participants are required to support the Forum’s activities by making an annual contribution in cash, in kind, or both. The list of the acceptable / different forms of contributions is available from the Forum’s Secretariat; and any amendment to the list is subject to the approval of the Founders’
- The Forum encourages local, regional, and global networking with similar organizations in order to build knowledge and activities networks that may help serve the focal points of media and development.
- The Founders’ Committee may form working committees or rely on certain experts to undertake specific tasks and assignments.
- Decisions pertaining to strategic plans of action should be reached through consensus – building processes. Simple/Basic majority in other matters may suffice.
- Events should be linked to global media and development events to ensure relevance.
- All meetings will have a thematic approach.
- Annual Conference will be determined by the Founders’ Committee (i.e. theme, time, location).
- Formation of cultural, media, research and development, women and youth, and public relations committees shall be the responsibility of the Founders’
- The Forum adopts a cultural framework based on diverse levels, which are dictated by social reality. Particular emphasis is on communication, more powerful knowledge structures, and more efficient and effective systems and methods.
it’s not enough for journalists to see themselves as mere messengers without understanding the hidden agendas of the message and the myths that surronds it .. fair enough